Website Heart of Texas Goodwill Industries, Inc.
Join the Team that's Changing Lives!
Heart of Texas Goodwill Industries, Inc. (Goodwill) is a nonprofit organization that employs about 400 team members. Goodwill is headquartered in Waco, Texas operates in a territory consisting of 20 counties in Central Texas. As part of its Mission, Goodwill participates in the StateSet Aside Program designed to help individuals with documented disabilitiesfind temporary employment within state offices such as the Office of Attorney General. Goodwill is responsible for recruitment and management of Temporary Employees placed within state offices as they worked towards a permanent position within their placement.
Performs entry-level attorney work. Work involves examining and preparing legal documents, rendering legal advice and counsel, conducting hearings, and assisting in preparing cases for agency hearings and/or trials. Works under close supervision, with minimal latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
Examples of work performed:
· Advises staff and the public on legal matters and the interpretation and application of agency regulations and state and federal laws.
· Prepares legal opinions, briefs, contracts, proposals, and reports.
· Research points of law involved in hearings to determine the validity and completeness of cases cited.
· Investigates alleged law violations and prepares reports of findings.
· Assists in conducting administrative, regulatory, evidentiary, and enforcement hearings.
· Assists in preparing cases for court trial and in representing the agency in matters before court as appropriate.
· May preside over administrative hearings to set rates, suspend or cancel permits, assess penalties, or consider related matters; to rule on procedural and evidentiary issues; and to develop administrative records.
· May draft memoranda on regulatory matters and draft administrative rules for the Texas Register.
· May research, draft, and/or assist in drafting bills and amendments for legislative consideration.
· Performs related work as assigned.
Experience and Education
Experience in legal work. Graduation from an accredited law school with a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) or a Juris Doctor (JD) degree. Member in good standing with the State Bar of Texas.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of legal principles, practices, and proceedings; of state and federal laws, rules, and regulations; and of agency administrative rules and regulations.
Skill in legal research, writing, and analysis; in the use of a computer and applicable software; in using reasoning and logic; in identifying and solving complex problems; in prioritizing workloads; and in using judgment to identify courses of action.
Ability to conduct hearings, to prepare opinions and briefs, to prepare cases for trial, to conduct research, to summarize findings, to interpret and apply laws, to use legal reference materials, and to communicate effectively.
Registration, Certification, or Licensure
Must be licensed as an attorney by the State of Texas
This is a State Set Aside Contract, which requires that employees have a qualifying disabling condition. Examples of disabilities could include: arthritis, asthma, orthopedic disorders, blindness or other visual impairments, lupus, cosmetic disfigurements, HIV/AIDS, Epilepsy, Hepatitis, lung disease, diabetes, head injuries, cancer, substance abuse, heart conditions, mental illnesses, intellectual disabilities, visual or hearing impairments, physical disabilities, and a variety of other disabilities. Must be able to provide documentation from a third party such as a doctor that you have a disability that affects your daily life.
This is a TEMPORARY position to start ASAP, through mid year 2023 and could extend beyond that time, depending on the needs of the local Office of Attorney General. Employees will be employed by and paid by Heart of Texas Goodwill Industries Inc. This position is not hired by the state’s office but rather, through Goodwill. Temporary position is through a state set-aside contract aimed at helping people with disabling conditions find employment.
Health insurance available if the job lasts more than 90 days.